What is needed for a building permit?
New homes, pole buildings, garages, and the like need site drawings showing setbacks and location of the structure. New home permits need a driveway permit and a septic permit from the Health Department.
What kind of permit is needed for a business operation?
For questions pertaining to a business operation, we must check to see how the property is zoned. Please contact the Plan Commission at (812) 358-6108.
What are the zoning districts?
§ 153.03 DISTRICTS.
(A) Kinds of districts; establishment. The county and towns are divided into the following kinds of districts.
(1) Agriculture Districts, designated A1 , are established to include substantial areas where little or no urbanization has occurred or is likely to occur in the near future.
(2) Agricultural Districts, designated A2, are established to include substantial areas of rolling and rugged topography where little or no urbanization has occurred or is liable to occur in the near future.
(3) Flood Plain Districts, designated FP, are established to include areas that are within the floodplain of rivers and creeks and thus subject to inundation.
(4) Forest Recreation Districts, designated as FR, are established to include land that is for the most part rough terrain and where there is extensive public ownership of forest lands.
(5) Residence Districts, designated R1, are established to include areas for low density single-family residences only.
(6) Residence Districts, designated R2, are established to include areas for medium density single and two-family residences.
(7) Residence Districts, designated R3, are established to include areas for relatively high density single, two-family and multiple-family residences.
(8) Lake Residence Districts, designated as LR, are established to include areas that adjoin extensive bodies of water in the county and are suitable for seasonal or permanent residences.
(9) Accommodation Business Districts, designated AB, are established to include areas that are close to state highways and/or recreation lakes and are appropriate to the limited shopping and service needs of these districts.
(10) Local Business Districts, designated LB, are established to include areas that are close to residential areas and appropriate to meeting their shopping and service needs.
(11) General Business Districts, designated GB, are established to include areas that are appropriate to all kinds of business and services.
(12) Shopping Center Districts, designated SC, are established to provide retail shopping facilities in areas where no clear pattern of business use now exists.
(13) Industrial Districts, designated I, are established to include most of the existing facilities.
How is my property zoned?
Our GIS map is used for zoning questions. We do need an address for this information for a legal description. (Under the Layers menu, you must check Zoning) GIS Mapping