When a tornado warning is issued:
- Stay in the center of the room away from windows, doors, and outside walls
- Protect your head
- Get under furniture or stairs
View information on nature’s most violent storms.
During winter storms:
- Never use unvented gas, propane, or kerosene heaters inside; these produce carbon monoxide, which can be deadly
- Dress in layers to keep warm if the heat goes out
View information on why winter storms are so dangerous.
During a chemical incident:
- Close and lock all windows and doors, close all air vents and fireplace dampers, turn off heating and air conditioning units
- Check the news for additional information
- If necessary, seal yourself in a room by placing plastic sheeting over openings using duct tape